Thursday, August 25, 2005

Day 16

Well, I feel kinda normal today. No doubt I'm hopped up on coffee, though. I had a 7am breakfast meeting this morning and have been up since 5am. I'm not a morning person so the caffeine infusion has been imperative. ;-)

So far I've done the following things right:
  • Watched my diet like a hawk. My typical "day of food" is as follows: Breakfast is coffee. Always coffee and then a bit more coffee. Lunch is enormous. If I have a day without lunch meetings, it's a big, organic salad with very little fatty stuff and lots of omega 3 stuff. No bread with lunch. Dinner is not really dinner - it has become low-calorie low-fat low-carb rice cakes (7 of them at 35 cals., 0g of fat and 8g of carbs) and some kind of carb-conscious meal replacement bar. Before I go to sleep I always always always drink 2% milk.
  • Exercised on schedule. I work out four days a week and the workouts are an hour a piece. Three days is kickboxing aerobics which is a GREAT workout combining heart-rate work, stretching, and isolation floor work. The four day is an hour of advanced floor pilates focusing on arms, abs and legs. I haven't wavered with that. When I get jumpy from lack of smoking I walk around outside for ten minutes.
  • I still go outside. Before I quit, outside was always social/relaxing etc. but involved smoking. Now I still go out - talk to neighbors, bring my laptop out and sit on the front porch, etc. I just don't smoke.
  • I chew LOTS of gum. LOTS and LOTS.
  • I haven't played golf. That will be the challenge - I haven't had any trouble yet when singing with the band, which brings me into direct contact with smokers and cigarette smoke. I'm not and never have been much of a drinker, so that's not an issue. For me, golfing and smoking go together. I won't be playing until Labor Day weekend when, hopefully, I'll have enough time under my belt to fight the smoking demons.

I have been irritable and intermittently (and sometimes severely) depressed. I've substituted a little kick of caffeine when that happens.

Here's a secret - my goal, when I quit, in addition to staying quit, was to actually see if I could lose a little weight. I don't need to lose any - I'm only talking a pound here - but I wanted to prove to myself that I could use quitting to reinforce dietary and exercise discipline. So far I'm succeeding.

Thanks for all the feedback!

10 Comments:

At 3:12 PM, Blogger gahm said...

COngrats on getting through the first two weeks. When I dropped cigs some ten years ago, golfing was the hardest to deal with the lack of smoking, moreso than socializing in a bar.

Of course, now I smoke cigars, almost daily. So, I guess I didn't fully quit.

Keep up the good work Rena. Stay strong.

 
At 3:29 PM, Blogger RenaRF said...

Thanks hon. Cigar smoking IS different in that you (hopefully) don't inhale.

How are things with the children etc.? Also, one of your poems - the name escapes me at the moment - was it about a dispute with a neighbor??

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Larry Kollar said...

I've never associated golf with smoking. I guess you have to put the cig aside before taking your swing?

 
At 5:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you are seriously suffering in the grip of smoking addiction and looking forward to quit smoking as soon as possible, then you are suggested to opt for Pfizer’s anti-smoking medicine chantix. Before administering Chantix, you need to get hold of Chantix prescription from the doctor and for other details on the medicine visit the website http://www.chantixmagic.com

 
At 10:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am on day 16. Everytime I want a (CI) I look up something about smoking/quiting on internet. When I'm done looking anything related to my problem, my want isn't,t as strong. I'm here cause this is my wanting moment. I feel better already.

 
At 6:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Well done, same here. 16 days

If you want to keep on going without withdrawal pangs, irritability or severe depression (and without any substitute like coffee or gums).

Read: Allen Carr's Easy Way To Stop Smoking.

You will realize that (especially after 16 days) everything is in the head and it is not that difficult at all.

 
At 11:44 AM, Blogger Agnikul said...

I am on Day 17 after quitting cold turkey. Age 60, 40+ years of smoking around 20 per day. Found mountain climbing too hard on recent vacation.

Quitting is not as hard as I had feared but mental concentration was initially very difficult. Walking 6 miles a day. Sleeping a lot. I feel I am over the worst now but staying vigilant. Not a single puff.

 
At 11:46 AM, Blogger Agnikul said...

I am on Day 17 after quitting cold turkey. Age 60, 40+ years of smoking around 20 per day. Found mountain climbing too hard on recent vacation.

Quitting is not as hard as I had feared but mental concentration was initially very difficult. Walking 6 miles a day. Sleeping a lot. I feel I am over the worst now but staying vigilant. Not a single puff.

 
At 3:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done to all! I'm also on day 16 and find myself missing the habit more than the nicotine i guess.. I am a head chef and my release to thr madness was a smoke break.. being the silly season at the moment isnt helping a hell of a lot however I am determent to kick the habit! I can actually smell and taste for the first time in 25yrs... heres for the next 16 days!

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am using a nicotine patch. I have not smoked for 16 days and have no desire to go back. I picked my friend up last week to drive her around town to do her banking etc answer I felt nauseated as soon as she got into the car. I had to roll the window down as I could not stand the smell of her breath and body odor from smoking. I did not say anything to her. Two things I gave going is that I did not allow smoking in my car is my apartment so that's a plus

 

Post a Comment

<< Home