Tuesday, August 16, 2005

One week down

As I type this, I am sitting on my front porch with my wireless laptop in hand. I have just finished an hour of advanced Pilates. Last week I came out here after mypilates workout and lit up. My post-workout cigarettes were always the most satisfying - isn't that sick?? Also last week I got halfway through my smoke and just decided that I was done. Thus ensued the great smoking QUIT of 2005. ;-)

I want to thank each of you who has been so diligent in stopping by the blog to see how my progress (or lack thereof) is going. Even though I am quitting by myself, I am not by myself because each of you check and give advice and encouragement and just pay attention. It means the world to me and believe me - I definitely feel responsible to each of you. It's helping more than you know.

Here are the bad things so far:
1. Jumpiness
2. Shorter fuse than usual
3. Insominia
4. Crying jags
5. Tired tired tired

Here are the things that I thought would bother me and haven't:
1. Giving up that morning cigarette.
2. My overall ability to cope is much better than I thought it would be.
3. I have been around other smokers (while they were smoking) and didn't really crave.

I'm an exercise and diet fanatic. My typical day's food intake is a monstrous organic salad at lunch (lots of stuff on it - it's really quite balanced) and then a litght but nutritious snack at dinner (typically some fruit OR Balance CarbWell OR some pretzels, etc.). I know that doesn't sound like a lot but I have to stick with it for the next month. If I feel conident I can manage my weight I'll make it through this with flying colors.

I work out pretty hard four days a week. As a substitute for smoking, I have also taken to walking in ront of the house when I would have normally gone out for a cigarette. So far so good with that. I also am fortunate in that I gave up snacking over a decade ago. That will help me immeasurably.

FARfetched mentioned "The Boy's" excuse for smoking - that it calmed him. It is true. Valium is calming also - that doesn't mean you should take it. I know that. But there is a concern for me - I'm not a good stress manager. I lose hair from stress, I have panic attacks from stress, I have stress-induced migraines. The exercise helps - but I definitely feel notched-up since I quit. I just hope it's an adjustment and I'll go back to managing stress effectively (more or less) the way I used to. Smoking could kill me - no doubt - but stress will kill me so I have to watch it. It's a chronic thing for me.

So there you have it. I'm pretty calm. I will say also that I was grumping and grouching about being tired... tired... tired... even when I had a good night's sleep. I logged into Quitnet.com and there was my daily tip, asking if I was "feeling tired". Turns out I may have another week of tiredness and mild fatigue but it also said that exercise, even a ten minute walk, really helped mitigate it. I'll put the walks into effect immediately.

So there you have it. One week down. ??? weeks to go! Only God knows. ;-)

5 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger RenaRF said...

You know, M, it's not that I feel anxiety NOW - It's that I feel anxiety all the time and always have. In fact, I was told when I was 16 that if I didn't get it under control I was in line for, at a minimum, pretty serious ulcer problems.

So I've really regulated my diet... My exercise... but the nicotine really added some calming. Do you suggest accupuncture just for a generally Type-A person? If so, any recommendations as to an accupunturist??

Amen on the cats thing. The cats were here before my husband and if I had to choose between them and him, the cats would stay. ;-)

 
At 12:21 AM, Anonymous luckyue said...

Stopped one week ago today. Cold turkey....I never thought that I would do it this way. I thought I'd need chantix and a rubber room...
I smoked 36 years...money was the main factor....wish me luck as I do for you folks..

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am on day 7. I am amazed at just how well I've done. I am 57 and smoked for nearly 40 years. I have tried to quit numerous times,but without the same conviction that i have now.
The cravings were probably worse for me on day 3 and day 5. I will go perhaps 10 minutes or longer without thinking about cigarettes, which gets even longer each day. I feel as if I have more energy, and I can definitely breathe easier. I love the fact that I can go into non-smoking situations, and feel comfortable, not anxious to leave and smoke. Also, I love it that I don't smell offensive, and don't have to wear heavy cologne to cover the stink of the smoke up.
My biggest question is when will I feel like a non-smoker. I know that it has only been a week, but I can tell you, I am not going back now!!!

 
At 2:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, Chantix must have loads of Marketers - I see their posts on forums everywhere I look. Do not listen to them, they are no better then the corporate scum bags that got you addicted to nicotine. They just want to make money off your addiction. Cold Turkey is the only way - and yes, it is difficult for the first three or so days (lets face it, it is an ADDICTION), but it is not impossible.

 
At 1:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear my friends... I am also in DAY SEVEN....my 15years habbit end now... i feel fantastic...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home